[python-uk] PyCamp UK !

Michael Sparks ms at cerenity.org
Mon Feb 5 23:16:44 CET 2007

On Monday 05 February 2007 20:21, Richard Smedley wrote:
..
> I barely know what I'm doing today but I think I have a reasonable
> handle on September ;-)
>
> I'd already written to Michael S off-list where, inter alia, I
> favoured this date - despite the clash with LBW2007.

I have no idea what LBW is BTW. Leg Before Wicket 2007 doesn't make much
sense to me :-)

:googles

Oh. That's a bit far for me (Never felt the inclination to go to that).

> However I note that the W Mids Python group is planning something
> similar at the same time, and the two parties are now sorting
> out between them what will happen when, so at the very least we
> will have a PyCamp this year and next year over the two
> regions. We could even get two camps per year ;-)

I chatted to John briefly at lunchtime today, and will be chatting with
him tomorrow about figuring out how to make this work. I think the plan
initially is to find out what the aims of the two things are.

I have a feeling the two are complementary since it sounds like John's
organising a conference and I'm organising an unconference. I'll hold on
dates though until chatting with John.

At the end of the day, we'll clash with *something* that much is guaranteed,
however avoiding some of the more python & scripting language related things
is my primary aim.

Whilst Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
> I've been looking at the 'Open Space' stuff. It looks very interesting,
> but without an agenda or presentations I would be interested in knowing
> what the tangible goals of a Python 'unconference' would be?

This is something I'll be pulling together in the invite. (Given the low
level of upfront structure, the invite takes on much greater importance)
I know it sounds like it doesn't work, but it works surprisingly well.

> * Would presentation equipment be available for groups that might find
> it useful ?

If the venue I suggested is large enough, it has presentation equipment.

> * Would coding be appropriate or expected for groups that wanted to ?
> (bring your own laptop...)

Absolutely.

Michael.