[Python-uk] Promoting Python in the UK

Duncan Booth duncan@rcp.co.uk
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 09:22:28 +0000

> Duncan, how much work is involved in what I was
> suggesting?  Basically,
> - folder for members only
Probably best to do a structure like www.zope.org with a folder
'users' that in turn contains a folder for each user. That would mean
each user could protect their own personal space, but it shouldn't
prevent them sharing objects with other users.

> - folder for public
Top level folder with some views of the things you listed below,
possibly using KMNetNews or maybe Squishdot as the basis for
news postings.

> - some basic databases everyone can maintain such as
> 1. members' directory,
> 2. list of "python sightings"
> 3. upcoming calendar events
> 4. draft documents for discussion
>
> I also am very conscious not to impose an extra
> administrative burden on Chris Tismer.  Does this
> stuff require much work by the top-level
> administrator?
It shouldn't do as one of the features of Zope is that new users may
be defined at any level of the site hierarchy. Until the Zope Portal
Toolkit is available I think we would have to roll our own forms for
signing up new users (or do it manually).

> If so, would we be better off with a Zope site of our
> own on Phil's machine - or on yours ? :-)
The features we might need that require the site administrator's
cooperation are:
* Adding external python methods.
* Adding any 3rd party Zope products
* Defining any new ZClasses.
* Creating external databases.
Which I think adds up to saying that no of course you don't NEED
administrative access, but it helps. I say we go for a Zope server
that can be kicked when necessary.

--
Duncan Booth                                             duncan@dales.rmplc.co.uk
http://dales.rmplc.co.uk/Duncan