[python-sg] one-north meetup group

George Goh georgegohkokleong at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 09:29:29 CEST 2011

Hi Martin,

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Martin <martin.brochhaus at googlemail.com>wrote:

> I don't know what "One North" means (sorry. stupid foreigner here *g). Do
> we need another name for this meetup? Why not try to breathe a bit more life
> into the already existing Python User Group? But we can discuss this face to
> face at our first meetup anyways.

One North refers to the R&D "district" of Singapore roughly bordered by
Commonwealth Ave, Buona Vista Road, and the Ayer Rajah Expressway. Here's
the wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-North)

I used the term "meetup group" very loosely(and not to distract from our
already excellent PUG Singapore), and the "One North" name because there
seemed to be a concentration of Pythonistas in the One-North area and it
seemed fitting to organize meets in the area.

> I think quarterly meetups are way too little for a Python user group.
> Monthly meetups would be much better. The Python User Group in Cologne for
> example meets every second Thursday of the month and has 50 users subscribed
> to the mailing list and 15 to 18 members showing up each month, which is
> quite nice. Sometimes there are months where everyone seems to be busy or on
> vacations and only a handful of people show up but hey - they have become
> friends and just use the time to have a Pizza together. So we really don't
> need to worry about having enough members or having enough talks or
> whatever. I'm pretty sure any meetup with whatever agenda there may be will
> definitely not turn out to be boring or time wasted.

Ditto.

> I guess we have more than 4 people willing to meet already and thus we
> should go on and decide on a day. After we have decided on a day, we might
> roughly discuss an agenda?
>
> I have created a doodle for making finding a date easier:
> http://www.doodle.com/8ktycdt5f96drbru#table

Thanks! Will check it out.

> I assumed that we might want to have the meetup this months already (when
> the energy and enthusiasm is still fresh *g)
> I think Thursdays are perfect for this kind of stuff. On Mondays and
> Tuesdays corporate employees might need to work longer in order to dig
> through the shit that has piled up over the weekend. On Fridays many
> companies have a somehow more relaxed work-pace, so if a meetup on Thursday
> takes a bit longer, its not too bad to be tired on a Friday :)

I second Thursdays. Thursday is the new Friday. :-)

> I would ask everyone to tick off the checkboxes for the days and times
> where you would have time. Make sure you take your normal work hours and
> commuting time into account. We haven't decided on a venue yet (have we?),
> but I'm sure we would be able to find something that is central enough for
> anybody.

When Mark and I were talking about the meetup, we were thinking about the
pubs in Holland Village.
It's not too far from the Orchard Road area, and plus there are direct buses
from the Shenton Way area. If there's no reasonable objection, then may I
suggest that we go to Holland Village for the first meet and then decide on
subsequent meets at other places?

I know that I did not take part in the discussion George and Mark had (as
> mentioned in the opening post), so please apologize if I am acting too
> quickly here. If you guys already have different plans / approaches, just
> let me know and ignore the doodle. If you think its a good way to go on,
> vote now :)

No worries :-) Social events should get people interested and be open to
suggestions.

Otherwise, it'd just be anti-social!

-George