[Python-porting] ImportError: cannot import name 'text_type'

Dylan Van Assche dylan.van.assche at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 18 09:25:57 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to python but I have some experience with other programming languages like Arduino.
I want to use the module 'pynder' which has several dependencies like the module 'dateutil' (which depends on the 'six' module for Python >3.0)
On my device (Jolla Sailfish OS) I have Python 3.4.0 available and when I try to import 'dateutil' it imports automatically 'six'.
That's the moment when I get this error:

ImportError: cannot import name 'text_type'

My folder structure looks like this:

Main
----- dateutil
----- pynder
----- six
----- requests
tinder.py

The text_type is something from the six module however I can't figure out why it gives that ImportError...
I'm not allowed to install modules through pip on Sailfish OS so I need to put them into the same directory as my python file (tinder.py)
Someone here who can help?

Regards,
Dylan Van Assche