[Python-porting] oauth for Python 3

Jason Gerard DeRose jderose at novacut.com
Thu May 24 18:51:50 CEST 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:10 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:

> One of the packages that I'm constantly bumping up against as I port more
> code
> to Python 3 is oauth.  We really need a semi-official (or at least popular
> <wink>) Python 3 compatible oauth client library.
>
> I'm CC'ing Jason DeRose since I've had several conversations with him about
> this, and I believe he has a package that would fit the bill, although I'm
> not
> sure if it's available on PyPI yet.

I don't yet have a Python3 OAuth library, but I implemented OAuth 1a
internally in my Python3 CouchDB "REST adapter", which I still need to get
up on PyPI, but can also be found on Launchpad:

https://launchpad.net/microfiber

I only implemented the client functionality, but as far as I know, that's
all that's needed for libraries like launchpadlib. I felt the python-oauth
API was way over complicated, so I wrote a simple, functional
implementation:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~microfiber/microfiber/trunk/view/head:/microfiber.py#L152

My plan is to split this out into its own module, and then to add a
python-oauth compatibility API (at least for the client functionality
actually being used). And then I'll try porting lauchpadlib to this
(sticking with Python2 at first).

Realistically, I wont have a chance to do this till I return from Linaro
Connect on May 2nd.

Python3 FTW!