[Python-porting] Attempt to organize people who want to help port

Zubin Mithra zubin.mithra at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 20:07:40 CET 2010

Hello Toshio,

> After a few mailing list posts about porting to python3 when upstreams are
> dead, I've started a page to help organize people who want to do porting
> work without (previously :-) being associated with upstream.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this one!

I would like to contribute to this effort. I am currently working on porting
configobj to Python3k and expect to get it done within the coming month.

I feel that if we can generate a list of packages rated by
importance(`importance` here being the number of packages which require this
package as a dependency) we should be able to focus our energies better on
porting them over first.

I feel that most developers are reluctant to work on porting their
dependencies too, aside from their own package(which is of course,
understandable); hence this approach might be of help in that case.

zm