[Python-porting] porting builtin file type to python3

Tue Jan 20 00:50:43 CET 2009

Hi,

I have a custom file type that looks more or less like this:

class myfile(file):

    def __init__(self, name, mode):
        super(myfile, self).__init__(name, mode)
        self.write('file header...\n')

And I'm pretty sure that porting this class to python3 will result in
something like:

import io

class myfile(io.FileIO):

    def __init__(self, name, mode):
        super(myfile, self).__init__(name, mode)
        self.write('file header...\n')

The problem that I'm facing now is that the 2to3 script does not find
anything to convert. (I'm also surprised, that running the original
code with "python2.6 -3" does not result in a warning.)

What is the best way to alter my original script to keep it compatible
with python 2.x and get an equivalent python3 script after running
2to3?

thanks a lot,
    bernhard

--