[python-nl] Next PUN? Next django meeting?

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Sun Apr 27 23:50:28 CEST 2014

On 26-04-14 09:49, Tikitu de Jager wrote:
> I've been out of the country a while and am a bit out of touch: how are
> the talks arranged these days? (I gather it's no longer "write your name
> on the wiki" :-)

The wiki went the way of the dodo when python.org's wiki was hacked.
Nowadays meetup.com is the place to tell you're coming.
For the next Utrecht meeting:
http://www.meetup.com/dutch-django-assocation/events/179100132/

The name of that meetup is that of the Django branch, but that's mostly
because the python wiki got hacked and we needed something QUICK.

And, as usual, registering isn't necessary. You can just show up.
Registering is mostly for the organizer to know how much cola, orange
juice, beer and chips to arrange.

> If people are interested, I think I'd be able to work up a presentation
> about the fundamentals of coroutines, event loops, and non-blocking I/O
> (the stuff that makes asyncio and friends work). There would be some
> overlap with the PyGrunn program, judging by the talk titles ("asyncio
> internals" and "gevent"), but my idea would be to zoom out from details
> of any particular library and look at the ideas they have in common.

Sounds like a nice technical internal talk, I'd be interested!
It is a just a month or so after the pygrunn conference, so perhaps it'd
be better to give your talk at a later PUN meeting? I don't know about
the overlap with pygrunn (regarding subject and regarding
people-attending-both-PUN-and-pygrunn).

We've got some fancy projects ourselves that we'd like to show. I'm
thinking about splitting one of the two 30 minute sessions in 2x15
minutes. One for fancy GDAL geographical layer manipulations. One of my
colleagues does absolute magic with a Flask web service based on that
new 50x50cm "AHN2" Dutch height data grid. He claims he's "only using
GDAL", so that sounds like a nice talk.
The other is a wonderful 3D flood simulation tool. The actual
calculation is in Fortran and all the rest is in Python, including a web
interface where you can do live flood simulations.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees                    http://reinout.vanrees.org/
reinout at vanrees.org             http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl/