[python-nl] Need a pointer... how to create an application or website and use Python

Guido Wesdorp johnnydebris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 15:15:58 CEST 2013

Hi,

There's many ways to create web apps with Python, it really depends on your
use-cases and taste. If you just want to get started quickly, you can write
CGI scripts in Python, almost all web servers can execute those and the
learning curve is minimal, especially if you did any back-end development
already. A tiny bit better and more complex would be to use 'WSGI' instead
of CGI, which is very similar in a sense that it provides a way to hook
Python into a webserver, but doesn't provide any framework for application
development. For larger applications, you may want to consider using one of
the web frameworks that Python has to offer, such as Django (somewhat
similar to Ruby on Rails) or Zope (old-school heavy framework, but still
used quite often). And if you're really adventurous, or have very specific
use cases, you could always consider implementing the web server in Python
yourself, too...

Cheers,

Guido