[python-nl] Debugging tactics

Tim Molendijk tim at timmolendijk.nl
Fri Oct 9 11:54:51 CEST 2009

> And of course, as a professional developer, you have reasonable tests
> in place already so that you can verify the bug in a new test once
> you've found it.  And experimenting in your tests can also help you a
> lot.
>
> If you don't have tests, all the debugging tools you can find won't
> avail you much.

I'm not much of a fan of TDD (test driven development). I do believe that
tests can be very useful and sometimes indispensable, but mainly for
protecting rather stable library-like software components from regressions.
Writing tests before or while building something; no thanks, it will waste
too much time on creating tests for code that might morph or disappear any
moment.