[python-nl] Python at Schools

Bram Braakman bram at legalsense.nl
Fri Oct 2 14:48:10 CEST 2009

Hi,
I often read about schools in the US using Python as a first introduction to
computer programming.

For high school level I know they often use
http://openbookproject.net//thinkCSpy/ as a reference.

For younger kids I think this is a popular one:
http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/en/rur.htm

In the US they seem to be a lot more "advanced" with educating their kids
these things. Apart from the occasional hobbyist teacher, I never got the
impression that in Dutch schools there are activities like this. Anyone know
of examples where they are doing this (in Holland)?

On a side note: I admire how (in the US) they know how to make it sort of
fun for the kids to learn programming (through games, game-programming or
things like LEGO Mindstorms/Robotics). I always felt that Dutch schools
lacked this kind of approach to teaching.

Cheers, Bram