Question(s)

o1bigtenor o1bigtenor at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 06:59:05 EDT 2023

On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 9:36 PM AVI GROSS via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> Agreed, Chris. There are many methods way better than the sort of RAID
> architecture I supplied as AN EXAMPLE easy to understand. But even so, if a
> hard disk or memory chip is fried or a nuclear bomb takes out all servers in
> or near a city, you would need  some truly crazy architectures with info not
> only distributed across the globe but perhaps also to various space
> satellites or servers kept ever further out and eventually in hyperspace or
> within a black hole (might be write-only, alas).
>
> The point many of us keep saying is there can not easily or even with great
> difficult, any perfect scheme that guarantees nothing will go wrong with the
> software, hardware, the people using it and so on. And in the real world, as
> compared to the reel world, many programs cannot remain static. Picture a
> program that includes many tax laws and implementations that has to be
> changed at least yearly as laws change. Some near-perfect code now has to
> either be patched with lots of errors possible, or redesigned from scratch
> and if it takes long enough, will come out after yet more changes and thus
> be wrong.
>
> A decent question you can ask is if the language this forum is supposed to
> be on, is better in some ways to provide the kind of Teflon-coated code he
> wants. Are there features better avoided? How do you make sure updates to
> modules you use and trust are managed as they may break your code. Stuff
> like that is not as abstract.

The above are very interesting questions - - - - anyone care to tackle
one, or some?

> In my view, one consideration can be that when people can examine your
> source code in the original language, that can open up ways others might
> find ways to break it, more so than a compiled program that you only can
> read in a more opaque way.

(Tongue in cheek) Except doesn't one make more $$$$ when software in
hidden in an unreadable state? (That forces the user to go back to the
original dev or group - - yes?)

TIA