Baffled by readline module

2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com 2QdxY4RzWzUUiLuE at potatochowder.com
Thu Mar 9 19:42:02 EST 2023

On 2023-03-10 at 11:02:52 +1100,
Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Traditional retirement: Work till you're 60 or 65 or whatever, then
> society pats you on the head, calls you a "senior citizen", and lets
> you go and be idle till you die (which might be prematurely soon).

Sounds like Free Four¹:

  The memories of a man in his old age
  Are the deeds of a man in his prime.

  You shuffle in the gloom of the sickroom
  And talk to yourself as you die.

Great tune.  Bad life.

> Direction-change retirement: Work till you can afford to zero out your
> income, then finally do what you've always wanted to do, but never had
> time because you spent so much of it earning money.

A little bit of that.  We live in the RV, and we have crisscrossed the
country more than once, coronavirus notwithstanding.

> Tell-the-next-generation: Work till you know so much that you're
> infinitely valuable, then spend the rest of your life empowering the
> next group of amazing people. See for instance: NASA.

And a little bit of that, too.  NASA would have been nice; I did my most
of my time in the commercial space, with a short break in the government
contracting business.

> Programmer retirement: At an early age, learn how to wield PHENOMENAL
> COSMIC POWER, and spend the next X years in an itty bitty working
> space, earning money. Eventually, upgrade to better living/working
> space. Eventually, downgrade to a small wooden box six feet below the
> ground. Never once relinquish the power. Never once abandon that
> feeling of mastery.

I was with you until that part of the small wooden box.  :-)

> We're not really an industry that has a concept of retirement.

Which is why I'm still here (on this mailing list, and a handful of
others like it).

Thanks for asking.

¹ https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pinkfloyd/freefour.html