Python 3.12.0 alpha 6 released

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Thu Mar 9 09:22:09 EST 2023

On 08/03/2023 04:37, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce the release of Python 3.12 alpha 6.
>
> https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-3120a6/
>

> *This is an early developer preview of Python 3.12.*
> Major new features of the 3.12 series, compared to 3.11

I was able to test reportlab with the 3.12.0a5 release (I build following the Archlinux pkgbuild), but am unable to do
so with 3.12.0a6 because of problems with cython/lxml/freetype-py (I think).

With an optimized build of a6 I was getting segfaults which I think were caused by incompatible C extensions from the
pip cache so decided to rebuild the requirements.

With latest cython git (allegedly 3.0.0b1) I see errors related to tstate eg

> Cython/Compiler/Parsing.c:86861:34: error: ‘PyThreadState’ {aka ‘struct _ts’} has no member named ‘curexc_traceback’
> 86861 |         PyObject* tmp_tb = tstate->curexc_traceback;

I guess that this is caused by changes in what we are allowed to see of Python internal structure.

If anyone knows of a way to advance further I can try to experiment.

--
Robin Becker