Assistance Request - Issue with Installing 'pip' despite Python 3.10 Installation

Thomas Passin list1 at tompassin.net
Wed Jun 7 15:12:22 EDT 2023

On 6/7/2023 10:54 AM, Florian Guilbault via Python-list wrote:
> Dear Python Technical Team,
>
> I hope this email finds you well. I am reaching out to you today to seek
> assistance with an issue I am facing regarding the installation of 'pip'
> despite my numerous attempts to resolve the problem.
>
> Recently, I performed installation, uninstallation, and even repair
> operations on Python 3.10 on my computer. However, I have noticed that
> 'pip' has never been installed successfully. When I check via the command
> prompt, I receive the following error: "'pip' is not recognized as an
> internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."
>
> I have tried several approaches to resolve this issue. I have verified that
> the PATH environment variable is correctly configured to include the path
> to the Python Scripts directory. I have also attempted to run the
> 'get-pip.py' installation script from the command line, but it did not work
> either.
>
> I am aware that 'pip' is typically installed automatically with Python, but
> I am encountering this persistent difficulty. Therefore, I would like to
> request your assistance and expertise in resolving this 'pip' installation
> issue. I would like to be able to use 'pip' to manage my Python packages
> efficiently.
>
> I am open to any suggestions and steps you can provide to help me resolve
> this problem. Please note that I am a user on the Windows operating system.
>
> Thank you sincerely for your attention and support. I eagerly await your
> guidance to resolve this situation.

You have by now seen several responses, and the one most likely to be
helpful is to run pip with

py -m pip

I would like to suggest some ways you can make it more likely that  you
will get useful suggestions in the future.  Basically, please fill in
details about your situation.

1. Say what operating system your computer is running.  All the
may or may not be correct.  We can infer it in this case from the
message you reported ("'pip' is not recognized as an internal or
external command, operable program, or batch file."), but you should say
so that we don't need to guess.

2. Since this question is about your python installation, say how you
installed it, since there are several possibilities.  For example, you
may have used the installer from python.org, you may have installed it
from the Microsoft store, etc.  These different installations are not
always the same.

3.  When you wrote that you "verified that the PATH environment variable
is correctly configured to include the path to the Python Scripts
directory", tell us what that PATH actually is, not just that it is
"correct".  We don't know if your idea of "correct" matches ours.

4.  Say how you tried to run programs that appeared to fail - running
"python" in a console may launch a different version from the one you
expect.  On Windows, running "py" will run the most recent one.

BTW, my own python.org installation of Python 3.11 on Windows 10 does
not include a get-pip.exe or a get-pip.py in its Python311\Scripts
directory (not that it was needed).