No shortcut Icon on Desktop

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Apr 13 14:39:10 EDT 2022

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 03:38:11 +1000, Tim Deke <tim.deke at gmail.com> declaimed
the following:

>Dear Sir,
>
>I have successfully downloaded Python into my laptop but the shortcut icon
>is not appearing on the desktop. I am using Windows 10 with the PC
>specifications as per snap shot attached below. Can you advise what to do?
>
>Thank you
>
>Tim Deke
>
>[image: image.png]

	Text only group -- if you need to reference a binary file you will have
to post it on some hosting service and include a link (URL) to that file.
CAVEAT: many of us will not click on random/ad-hoc links -- if the link
does not explicitly end in a recognized file name it will be considered
dangerous [as it could transfer anything, including mal-ware]; at least
with a "safe" file name, it may be considered for examination)

	As for the main question?

	WHAT did you download -- where from, what name, etc. ...and where on
your computer did you download it?

	Python normally does not create "shortcut icon"s -- one downloads an
installer (which on my system would be saved in %userprofile%\downloads),
and executes the installer (once). Python is not an all-in-one GUI
development environment (ie; it is not something like Lazarus/FreePascal,
Visual Studio, etc.). It is an interpreter for script files and depending
upon how the installer sets up the environment, one may never need to
directly invoke the Python interpreter -- one just invokes .py script files
and the OS activates the correct interpreter.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>rem direct invocation; python.exe is found in %PATH%
C:\Users\Wulfraed>python
Python ActivePython 3.8.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
 on win32

C:\Users\Wulfraed>rem "py launcher" (which I don't trust as it has been
known to pick a different Python at times
C:\Users\Wulfraed>py
Python ActivePython 3.8.2 (ActiveState Software Inc.) based on
 on win32

C:\Users\Wulfraed>
C:\Users\Wulfraed>type junk.py

print("Let me out of here!")

C:\Users\Wulfraed>rem invocation of python providing a script file
C:\Users\Wulfraed>python junk.py
Let me out of here!

C:\Users\Wulfraed>rem direct invocation of script file, .py linked to
Python by OS
C:\Users\Wulfraed>junk.py
Let me out of here!

C:\Users\Wulfraed>rem direct invocation -- with .py defined as an
"executable" extension on my system
C:\Users\Wulfraed>junk
Let me out of here!

C:\Users\Wulfraed>