The sqlite3 timestamp conversion between unixepoch and localtime can't be done according to the timezone setting on the machine automatically.

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 3 11:33:08 EDT 2021

On 02/09/2021 19:30, Chris Angelico wrote:

>> Without DST the schools opened in the dark so all the kids
>> had to travel to school in the dark and the number of
>> traffic accidents while crossing roads jumped.
>
> How do they manage in winter?

That was the winter. Sunrise wasn't till 10:00 or so
and the schools open at 9. With DST sunrise became
9:00 and with pre-dawn light it is enough to see by.

Its a recurring theme. Every now and then some smart
young politician from the south of the UK suggests
doing away with DST and a large crowd of northerners
jump up and say no way!

> Can that be solved with better street> lighting?

They had street lighting but it casts dark shadows etc.
In fact modern LED based street lighting is worse in
that respect that the old yellow sodium lights were.
But where it doesn't exist the cost of installing
street lighting in small villages is too high compared
to just changing the clocks. And of course street
lighting has a real running cost that would be reflected
in the local council taxes, and nobody wants to
pay more of them! After all street lighting has
been available for over 150 years, if they haven't
installed it by now.... (I mean, nearly everywhere
has some lighting, at least on the main roads,
it's just the smaller back streets that tend to be dark.)

> That was fifty years ago now, and the negative consequences
> of DST are far stronger now.

But not apparent to most people. Most still see it
as a benefit because they get longer working daylight.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site