The sqlite3 timestamp conversion between unixepoch and localtime can't be done according to the timezone setting on the machine automatically.

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 14:28:42 EDT 2021

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 4:22 AM Alan Gauld via Python-list
<python-list at python.org> wrote:

> On 31/08/2021 22:13, Chris Angelico wrote:
>
> > But ultimately, it all just means that timezones are too hard for
> > humans to handle, and we MUST handle them using IANA's database. It is
> > the only way.
>
> Except for the places that don't follow the IANA scheme and/or
> dynamically change their time settings on a whim. To be complete
> you need the ability to manually override too.

What places are those? IANA maintains the database by noticing changes
and announcements, and updating the database. I don't think
governments need to "opt in" or anything. Stuff happens because people
do stuff, and people do stuff because they want to be able to depend
on timezone conversions.

There ARE times when a government makes a change too quickly to get
updates out to everyone, especially those who depend on an OS-provided
copy of tzdata, so I agree with the "on a whim" part. Though,
fortunately, that's rare.

ChrisA