editor recommendations?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Mon Mar 8 04:27:40 EST 2021

Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> wrote:
> On 03Mar2021 10:00, Lele Gaifax <lele at metapensiero.it> wrote:
> >Cameron Simpson <cs at cskk.id.au> writes:
> >> My fingers know vim. Some others' fingers know emacs.
> >
> >Emacs has also an Evil[1] mode, that mimics some vi/vim features.
>
> Whenever I've tries emulate-vi modes they tend to lack some coner case
> known to my fingers.

I use [x]vile, "vi like Emacs".  It's vi in terms of what the keys do
(I can use vim and 'real' vi without issues) but it's built on an old
eMacs engine and so has quite a few eMacs-like abiliities.  For
example it has a gnuclient type mode where it runs as a server and you
can squirt files at it to be edited.

It's available in most distributions and is actively maintained and
developed still.

--
Chris Green
·