Instantiating sub-class from super

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Oct 17 02:08:43 EDT 2019

On 2019-10-16 7:33 AM, Frank Millman wrote:

> Here is a link to an article entitled 'Understanding Hidden Subtypes'.
> It dates back to 2004, but I think it is still relevant. It addresses
> precisely the issues that you raise, but from a data-modelling
> perspective, not a programming one.
>
> http://tdan.com/understanding-hidden-subtypes/5193
>
> I found it invaluable, and applied the concepts in my own
> business/accounting application. Having created the ability to make
> subtypes visible and explicit, I found all kinds of unexpected uses for
> them.
>
> The article seems to be missing a couple of images (Figure 1 and Figure
> 2) showing the data relationships. I downloaded the original article
> onto my computer years ago, and my local copy does have the images, so
> if you would like to see them let me know and I will upload my version
> somewhere to make it accessible.

I received a couple of requests for a link to the original article, so I
uploaded it to filebin. Here is the link -

https://filebin.net/1ia5kcq2sbp57t1o

The file will be deleted automatically in one week. I don't know if that
is good netiquette. Should I use a site where it never expires? Google
Drive? Recommendations welcome.

Frank