syntax difference

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Sun Jun 24 12:28:02 EDT 2018

On Sun, 24 Jun 2018 16:39:19 +0100, Bart wrote:

> More like utter disbelief at how it works. Surely it cannot work like
> that because it would be too inefficient? Apparently, yes it can...

Apparently, no it doesn't, because the fact that Python is used by tens
of thousands of programmers for some mighty big, performance-critical,
projects proves that it isn't "too inefficient". Its efficient enough.

You want C, and all the headaches and buffer overflows and seg faults it
gives, you know where to find it.

> I know I'm going to get flak for bringing this up this old issue,

And yet you're going to do it anyway.

> but
> remember when you used to write a for-loop and it involved creating an
> actual list of N integers from 0 to N-1 in order to iterate through
> them? Crazy.

That's nothing, there are languages where the standard way to write a for
loop is to call an external program that generates a stream of numeric
strings separated by spaces in a subprocess, and read the strings from
standard input as text.

--
Steven D'Aprano
it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson