syntax difference

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 14:11:16 EDT 2018

On 06/20/2018 03:35 AM, bart4858 at gmail.com wrote:
> Pointers are merely an extra level of indirection; they can be made to fit.

I'm hard pressed to think of any way in which pointers could fit into
Python given the way python variables work and given the virtual machien
architecture and abstraction that python presents to programemrs.
Pointers are for a different conceptual model, a different (virtual)
machine architecture.

I programmed for many years when I was a young without pointers and
never needed them in the language I was using which broadly abstracted
memory.  When I learned C and C++, I learned how to work with pointers
because they were intrinsically a part of the programming paradigm these
languages espouse.  Both languages are extremely low-level, with very
little abstraction between you and the Von Neumann machine.

Given your experience with programming and making your own programming
languages, I'm often surprised by your assertions.