UnicodeDecodeError: 'charmap' codec can't decode byte 0x9d in position 10442: character maps to <undefined>

bellcanadardp at gmail.com bellcanadardp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 10:19:40 EDT 2018

On Wednesday, 13 June 2018 09:12:32 UTC-4, Steven D'Aprano  wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 03:55:58 -0700, bellcanadardp wrote:
>
> > the collFile has to be like a variable that would refer to the file
> > Collection.dat..thats my best guess also in the error line , it doesnt
> > actually open the file ...
>
> The file has to be opened if you are reading from it. If it isn't opened
> in the line of code you are looking at, look at the rest of the code.
> *Somewhere* is must be opened.
>

> --
> Steven D'Aprano
> "Ever since I learned about confirmation bias, I've been seeing
> it everywhere." -- Jon Ronson

yes thank you
further down in the script..the collectionFile is indeed opened
and all it took was this line, to get the full program to work in python 3
**************
self.collFile=open(self.collectionFile,'r',encoding='utf-8')

where
,encoding='utf-8'
is the only change that had to be made, pointed out from INADA
(plus i used the 2to3.py, which corrected many print statements)

thanks alot for your efforts...im sure i will need this forum for future errors

thanks again to all who posted for this python 2 to python3 utf-8 unicodedecode error
its very kind and built on the online programmers community spirit

tommy