Unicode [was Re: Cult-like behaviour]

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Mon Jul 16 20:48:26 EDT 2018

On 2018-07-16 23:59, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Tim Chase <python.list at tim.thechases.com>:
> > While the python world has moved its efforts into improving
> > Python3, Python2 hasn't suddenly stopped working.
>
> The sword of Damocles is hanging on its head. Unless a consortium is
> erected to support Python2, no vendor will be able to use it in the
> medium term.

Wait, but now you're talking about vendors. Much of the crux of this
discussion has been about personal scripts that don't need to
marshal Unicode strings in and out of various functions/objects.

If you have a py2 script that works with py2 and breaks with py3, and
you don't want to update to py3 unicode-strings-by-default, then
stick with py2.  They even coexist nicely on the same machine.

It doesn't have a self-destruct clause.  As long as py2 continues to
build, it will continue to run which is a long lifetime.  To point,
I still have the "joy" of maintaining some py2.4 code that's in
production.  Would I rather upgrade it to 3.x?  You bet.  But the
powers in place are willing to forego python updates in order to not
rock the boat.

-tkc