Matplotlib 3D limitations, please recommend alternative

John Ladasky john_ladasky at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 6 04:05:26 EDT 2018

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 6:38:18 PM UTC-7, William Ray Wing wrote:
> > On Jul 4, 2018, at 5:53 PM, John Ladasky <j... at s...net> wrote:
[snip]
> > I explored Python OpenGL bindings about three years ago, and quickly got bogged down.  Even with Python to assist, dealing with OpenGL was like trying to program Java.  Of course, OpenGL can do EVERYTHING.  Far more than I need.
> >

> The Python Open GL bindings have apparently changed fairly dramatically.  I’m no expert, I’m working my way through the on-line book here:
>
> 	http://www.labri.fr/perso/nrougier/python-opengl/
>
> But the author DOES lay things out in a nice step by step fashion - and with particular emphasis on scientific 3D plotting (which is what I’m after).

I've started to read your link.  Maybe I will attempt OpenGL a second time.

I found my posts documenting my request for help the last time that I attempted OpenGL here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.lang.python/Hj-UHbAFpWs/7vz-vcSHCAAJ;context-place=forum/comp.lang.python

Back then I wrote:

"I have concluded that Qt, PyQt, and OpenGL are all rapidly-evolving, and huge, software packages.  There may be compatibility problems, and relevant examples with the right software combination may be hard to find.  Two weeks of searching web pages hasn't turned up a single example which demonstrates PyQt5 doing something simple in 3D with OpenGL that I can study."

It's nice to see that Nicolas Rougier confirms exactly that very near the beginning of his book (Section 2.1, "A bit of history").