How to make Python run as fast (or faster) than Julia

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Fri Feb 23 07:57:35 EST 2018

On 23/02/2018 08:11, Terry Reedy wrote:

> * Python has an import statement.  But 'comparisons' disallow 'import
> numpy', a quite legal Python statement, and similar others.

If I'm duplicating a benchmark [in another language] then the last thing
I want to see is something like 'import numpy', or other special
language feature, as that cannot be replicated.

I want to see a pure algorithm. Not the equivalent of:

   os.system("C_version.exe")

   The ability
> to import Python wrappers of Fortran and C libraries is part of the
> fundamental design of cpython.  It is a distributed project.

Is numpy a general purpose C library that can also be called from any
language that can use a C API? Or is it specific to Python?

--
bartc