random choice from dictionary

Avi Gross avigross at verizon.net
Mon Dec 24 00:53:17 EST 2018

I did say some would use enumerate but I was rushing to go to my nephews wedding and my enum became emum which is meaningless 😊

If the goal is to make a relatively efficient algorithm and the index made by enumerate is not needed, then I judged that the overhead of enumerate(data) returning two values to be unpacked each time through the loop might be more than having a single counter. Of course enumerate likely is considered more pythonic 😊

Similarly, the suggestion to use islice (although the name is also unfortunately reminiscent of is lice) may be a good one. But it basically does what my function did, perhaps as fast and perhaps not. My impression is it iterates using next() a number of times then stops. It is so simple, there might be no need for my function. The request was to find an nth item and you can feed (the random) n directly into islice.

Just for amusement, I already get a random word a day in my email from two dictionary sources in English as well as quite a few in other languages. I not only get the word as a key, but also a translation and even an example sentence with translation.

But I doubt the words are chosen randomly and they are not likely to be from a python dictionary.😊