Repairing Python installation?

Martin Schöön martin.schoon at gmail.com
Sat Oct 28 16:41:34 EDT 2017

It seems something is amiss with my Python 2.7 installation. Revisiting
Nikola (static web site generator written in Python) for the first time
in several years the other day I experience some unexpected problems. I
got some help form the Nikola people and the conclusion is something
is broken with my Python 2.7. Pip list throws exceptions at me while
pip3 list works the way I expect it to do.

All this is happening on a Debian machine.

Questions:

Should I try to pinpoint what is broken (and how is that done) or should
I just remove everything Python 2.7 and re-install?

Could mixing pip installs with Debian distro installs of Python
packages lead to conflicts or other problems?

TIA,

/Martin