Please disable “digest” mode to participate (was: Python-list Digest, Vol 170, Issue 34)

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Nov 27 18:25:28 EST 2017

nospam."ROGER GRAYDON CHRISTMAN" <dvl at psu.edu> (ROGER GRAYDON CHRISTMAN)
writes:

> I'll answer your question with a couple questions:

Roger, your messages often are not replies to the original message, but
replies to a “digest” composed by the mailing list.

The digest messages are useful, but only for the recipient as a
read-only digest. Enabling “digest” mode is only for when you are
*certain* that you will never at any point need to respond to any
message from the forum. That's not true, so should be turned off.

Message digests are not useful if you want to participate in the forum:
your replies are to messages we've never seen, they do not thread
correctly, and you have a lot of additional clean-up to do in the quoted
material. This is all making it harder for you to participate in the
forum.

Instead: go to your settings in the mailing list subscription, and
disable “digest” mode. You will then be able to respond directly to
specific messages when they arrive, the same ones the rest of us see and
have in threaded discussions.

--
 \     “I went to a fancy French restaurant called ‘Déjà Vu’. The head |
  `\                  waiter said, ‘Don't I know you?’” —Steven Wright |