Is there something like head() and str() of R in python?

Mario R. Osorio nimbiotics at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 09:40:55 EST 2017

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 2:05:12 PM UTC-5, Peng Yu wrote:
> Hi, R has the functions head() and str() to show the brief content of
> an object. Is there something similar in python for this purpose?
>
> For example, I want to inspect the content of the variable "train".
> What is the best way to do so? Thanks.
>
> $ cat demo.py
> from __future__ import division, print_function, absolute_import
>
> import tflearn
> from tflearn.data_utils import to_categorical, pad_sequences
> from tflearn.datasets import imdb
>
> # IMDB Dataset loading
> train, test, _ = imdb.load_data(path='imdb.pkl', n_words=10000,
>                                 valid_portion=0.1)
>
> # https://raw.githubusercontent.com/llSourcell/How_to_do_Sentiment_Analysis/master/demo.py
>
> --
> Regards,
> Peng

Python is very good at giving you a string representation of any object. However, such capabilities do fall short every now and then. That is why when defining your own classes, you must also override the __init__() and _-repr__() methods so you can get a better suited string representation of such objects.

You can read more at: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/12448175/confused-about-str-in-python