How to install Python package from source on Windows

bartc bc at freeuk.com
Wed May 17 17:56:43 EDT 2017

On 17/05/2017 22:40, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 6:52 AM, bartc <bc at freeuk.com> wrote:
>>> determines whether your system has the required
>>> compilers and libraries, figures out what source files should be
>>> compiled, and calculates the order in which to build the source files.
>>

>> Yes! That's what I need!
>>
>> But either this information is highly classified, or nobody here actually
>> knows how to extract it from the output of configure or the makefile or
>> wherever it ends up.
>>

> Have you looked in config.log?

Don't have to run it first?

> configure:3651: checking for gcc
> configure:3667: found /usr/bin/gcc
> configure:3678: result: gcc
>
> Or the less verbose form that you see on the console while it's
> actually running?

That sounds like the answer is yes!

OK, so maybe I can get an idea of what's involved if I run it on another
computer that has Linux. But I expect that the output will then be
slanted at that system rather than mine.

> and some architecture-specific things:
>
> checking whether C doubles are little-endian IEEE 754 binary64... yes
> checking whether C doubles are big-endian IEEE 754 binary64... no
> checking whether C doubles are ARM mixed-endian IEEE 754 binary64... no
> checking whether we can use gcc inline assembler to get and set x87
> control word... yes
> checking whether we can use gcc inline assembler to get and set
> mc68881 fpcr... no

It sounds more like CPython is written in assembly code rather than C.
Why don't the C language, C compilers and their optimisers take care of
these concerns?

(And what does the build system do with all this information, or is this
just routinely gathered anyway whether the application needs it or not?)

--
Bartc