Survey: improving the Python std lib docs

Dan Sommers dan at tombstonezero.net
Fri May 12 07:46:54 EDT 2017

On Fri, 12 May 2017 21:14:01 +1000, Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 8:02 PM, Steve D'Aprano
> <steve+python at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> (2) The PHP documentation allows you to search for a term by typing it into
>> the URL after the domain, e.g. to search for "split", go to:
>>
>> http://php.net/split
>>

>> If you try the same thing with the Python docs:
>>
>> http://python.org/split
>>
>> you get a 404. Suggestion: 404s should redirect and search the docs.
>
> So long as we're talking about the existing search functionality, I'm
> a big NO on this one. It's way too slow to be used as a general 404.

I agree with ChrisA.  That said, if part of the 404 page were a link to
such a search, that may be convenient.

    python.org/split does not exist.

    Would you like to _search the python documentation for split_?

(where the underscore-bracketed text would be a link to
https://docs.python.org/3/search.html?q=split).

Dan