Using namedtuples field names for column indices in a list of lists

Deborah Swanson python at deborahswanson.net
Tue Jan 10 00:03:04 EST 2017

Erik wrote, on January 09, 2017 8:06 PM

> On 10/01/17 03:02, Deborah Swanson wrote:
> > Erik wrote, on January 09, 2017 5:47 PM
> >> IIRC, you create it using a list comprehension which creates the
> >> records. A list comprehension always creates a list.
> >
> > Well no. The list is created with:
> >
> > records.extend(Record._make(row) for row in rows)
>
> No, the list is _extended_ by that code. The list is _created_ with a
> line that will say something like "records = []" or "records
> = list()"
> (or "records = <expression that yields a list>").

The list was created with this code:

    infile = open("E:\\Coding projects\\Pycharm\\Moving\\Moving 2017
in.csv")
    rows = csv.reader(infile)
    fieldnames = next(rows)
    Record = namedtuple("Record", fieldnames)
    records = [Record._make(fieldnames)]
    records.extend(Record._make(row) for row in rows)

I just pulled out the .extend statement to show you because that's what
looks like a list comprehension, but turns out not to be one.  We still
get a list though, on that we agree.  ;)

> It's nice to see you agree that it's a list though. Oh, hold on ... ;)
>
> > I'm not exactly
> > sure if this statement is a list comprehension.
>
> No, it's not. I was remembering an old message where someone
> suggested
> using the _make() method and that was expressed as a list
> comprehension.
>
> What you have there is a call to list.extend() passing a _generator_
> comprehension as its only parameter (which in this case you
> can consider
> to be equivalent to a list comprehension as all of the data are
> generated greedily). You see that I said "list.extend()".
> That's because
> 'records' is a list.

> > <class 'list'>
>
> Yes, it's an instance of the list class. A list object. A list.
>
>  >>> type(list())
> <class 'list'>
>  >>> type([])
> <class 'list'>
>  >>> class foo: pass
>  >>> type(foo())
> <class '__main__.foo'>
>  >>>

> ... type() will tell you what class your object is an instance of.
> "<class 'list'>" tells you that your object is a list.
>
> > And it behaves like a list sometimes, but many times
> > not.
>
> I think that's impossible. I'm 100% sure it's a list. Please give an
> example of when 'records' does not behave like a list.

I gave an example in one of my last two replies to other people. The
thing is that it's a list, but it's not a list of lists. It's a list of
namedtuples, and the non-listlike behaviors appear when I'm directly
working with the namedtuples.

> > The only thing I don't think you have 100% correct is your assertion

> > that records is a list.
>
> It's a list.

I agree, now.

> > But that's just a quibble. The important thing in this context is
that
> > both .sort() and sorted() treat it like a list and DTRT.
>
> That's because it's a list :)
>
> E.

It is!  A list of namedtuples that is, not a list of lists. sorted() and
.sort work because they only interact with the outer data structure,
which is a list.