Python Learning

Bill BILL_NOSPAM at Noway.net
Sat Dec 16 18:25:52 EST 2017

Rustom Mody (Rustom Mody) wrote:
> On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 9:45:17 AM UTC+5:30, Bill wrote:
>> Chris Angelico wrote:

>>> On the contrary, that makes Python an *excellent* first language. We
>>> don't force people to learn about the chemistry of petrochemical
>>> combustion before letting them learn how to drive a car; we don't make
>>> people understand TCP/IP networking before they're allowed to type
>>> something into Google. And if you DO want people to start off with a
>>> lower-level language, why C++? Why not machine code (or at least
>>> assembly code), since that's what the CPU actually executes?
>> Most decent introductions to C++ discuss machine language (it helps make
>> sense of compilation).
>> As you indirectly suggest, learning is something of a circular process,
>> so it really doesn't make that much difference where one starts, just
>> "Do It!".  :  )
> Reallyâ¿?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principles_of_learning#Primacy

You would give precedence to something written on a wikipedia page over
your experience?
In our current context, we are talking about self-learning where one is
one's own teacher. To my mind, if one gets that part right, one doesn't
need to worry about the other types. I learned a great deal from BYTE
magazine and before that Popular Electronics. Computer technology is so
ubiquitous today, that the interested person one need only grab hold of
something and start learning. YouTube for instance, offers a plethora of
places to "begin".  I tell students, that if they have the math behind
them, then the doors of science will be open to them. In my experience,
if they do not have the basic (~pre-calc) math behind them, then
learning from a textbook on a programming language, say,  may be a bit
beyond them.