Oh gods can we get any more off-topic *wink* [was Re: [Python-ideas] Inconsistencies]

Steve D'Aprano steve+python at pearwood.info
Thu Sep 15 15:31:05 EDT 2016

On Fri, 16 Sep 2016 05:19 am, Random832 wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016, at 15:06, Steve D'Aprano wrote:
>> No, the horizon would still be horizontal. It merely wouldn't *look*
>> horizontal, an optical illusion.
>
> I guess that depends on your definition of what a horizon is - and what
> a straight line is, if not the path followed by a beam of light.

Light follows geodesics, not straight lines.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Geodesic.html

Hmmm... actually that suggests that an infinite flat earth is *not* a
Newtonian black hole, as I suggested, since light in Newtonian physics
travels in straight lines. So it would be an unusual kind of relativistic
black hole.

(A Newtonian black hole is just a star or planet sufficiently big that the
escape velocity is greater than the speed of light. Hmmm again... what is
the escape velocity of an infinite plane with gravitational acceleration of
1 gee?)

--
Steve
enough, things got worse.