The Cost of Dynamism

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 16:18:44 EST 2016

On Sun, Mar 13, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn
<PointedEars at web.de> wrote:
> Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>
>> […] HTML markup is all ASCII.
>
> Wrong.  I am creating HTML documents whose source code contains Unicode
> characters every day.
>
> Also, the two of you fail to differentiate between US-ASCII, a 7-bit
> character encoding, and 8-bit or longer encodings which can *also* encode
> characters that can be *encoded with* US-ASCII.

Where are the non-ASCII characters in your HTML documents? Are they in
the *markup* of HTML, or in the *text*? This is the difference.

And I'm not conflating those two. When I say ASCII, I am referring to
the 128 characters that have Unicode codepoints U+0000 through U+007F.

ChrisA