Moderation and slight change of (de facto) policy

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 19:35:40 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Matt Ruffalo <matt.ruffalo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi-
>
> That seems like a reasonable approach, though I think there *really*
> needs to be an option along the lines of "subscribed to the list for the
> purposes of moderation, but not receiving list messages via email". I
> think I did this with the Git mailing list in the past, and it was quite
> useful. I prefer to read the mailing list over NNTP through Thunderbird
> -- if I have to decide between receiving every mailing list message via
> email, or not sending messages to the list, I'll probably decide to not
> send anything to the list at all.

That shouldn't be difficult. You should be able to subscribe, and then
go to the Mailman page and change your delivery options.

"""
Mail delivery

Set this option to Enabled to receive messages posted to this mailing
list. Set it to Disabled if you want to stay subscribed, but don't
want mail delivered to you for a while (e.g. you're going on
vacation). If you disable mail delivery, don't forget to re-enable it
when you come back; it will not be automatically re-enabled.
"""

It talks about temporarily disabling delivery, but it works fine for
permanent blocking, too. I run a Mailman list for the committee of a
non-profit organization, and several of the members are subscribed
under multiple addresses, with all but one of them in nomail mode; it
lets them post from any of their accounts, without moderation delay,
but not get spammed with all the copies.

ChrisA