Moderation and Usenet

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Apr 11 01:16:53 EDT 2016

On 11/04/2016 04:32, Mario R. Osorio wrote:
> hmmm...He made an extremely kind comment a couple of days ago. It
> called my attention because is the first one ever (coming from) ...
> Now I'm thinking he might have just been sarcastic.

Give him the benefit of the doubt.

> And BTW I myself have given a couple of sour responses every now and
> then. I guess we all have our bad days or moments. It's just that
> Mark's are much too often.

I'm not going to discuss any individual's behaviour here. But to
reiterate what I said either earlier in this thread or elsewhere: we're
not interested in jumping down someone's throat because they lost their
cool for a moment. Or because they once said something in a way which
someone else considered too forceful.

We're more concerned with the overall effect a series of postings has on
other list/newsgroup members. If the list/newsgroup becomes an
unpleasant or uncomfortable place because one person is aggressive or
rude often enough, then we need to step in.

Of course, other members of the list/community are free to do so, as
they sometimes do, and point out to a poster where something was
unnecessarily blunt or even outright offensive. Thus giving that person
the opportunity to retract or apologise if they wish.

TJG