[beginner] What's wrong?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Sat Apr 2 13:12:13 EDT 2016

Marko Rauhamaa wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>:
>> So you're saying that learning to be a fluent speaker of English is a
>> pre-requisite of being a programmer?
>
> No more than learning Latin is a prerequisite of being a doctor.

Full ACK.  Probably starting with the Industrial Revolution enabled by the
improvements of the steam machine in England, English has become the /lingua
franca/ of technology (even though the French often still disagree,
“byte”, respectively¹).  (With the Internet at the latest, then, it has also
become the /lingua franca/ of science, although Latin terms are common in
medicine.)

> Nowadays software companies and communities are international. You never
> know who needs to maintain your code. At work, I need to maintain code
> that was created in Japan, with coworkers from all over the world. The
> Japanese author had had a hard time with English, and made some
> awkward naming choices, but had the common sense to use English-only
> names in his code.

One will have a hard time finding a company or community, international or
not, that does not have at least a basic knowledge of English included in
what they require of a software developer.

¹  Years ago, I was helping a French colleague with her computer, and
   was surprised to read “Mo” instead of “MB” in the status bar of
   Windows Explorer.
--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2