Recover data over the network

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Fri Oct 9 23:44:26 EDT 2015

> On Oct 9, 2015, at 10:44 PM, Arshpreet Singh <arsh840 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, 10 October 2015 04:40:27 UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano  wrote:
>>
>> What do you mean, "recover data from a server"? What has happened to the
>> server? Can it boot or is it in an unbootable state? Are the hard drives
>> physically damaged? What sort of hard drives? (Solid state, or magnetic
>> media?)
>
> Server is booting up. We are using SSD. Disk is not physically Damaged. I can't reach to server Physically.
>

>> What makes you think this will be a "small" Python application? Do you have
>> limits on the maximum size? (Does the application have to fit on a floppy
>> disk?) Are you expecting a GUI? What OS do you want the application to run
>> on? (Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Android, embedded systems, something else?)
>
> From the small I was meaning a simple Python command Line application. That I will be able to execute from shell. Server is on Ubuntu Linux.
>
>>> For the 2nd part I can use scp(secure copy), Please let me know if any
>>> data-recovery library is available in Python to do 1st task.
>>
>> Depends on what you mean by data recovery.
>
> My main aim is to recover user accounts mostly data present in /home partition of the disk.
> --

I hesitate to mention this, but there _may_ be a communication problem here. When American-English speakers refer to data recovery, they usually are discussing reading data from a disk that has suffered some catastrophic event, say a head crash or an inadvertent wholesale data deletion. In either case physical access to the hardware is assumed (and required). Based on what you've said so far, you don't have physical access, the disk (SSD) is operating normally, and you simply want remote read access to the /home directory tree. Is this correct?  If the answer is yes, then the discussion will head off in an entirely different direction.

Bill