Python 2 to 3 conversion - embrace the pain

Mario Figueiredo marfig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:26:36 EDT 2015

On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 14:49:36 +1100, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>
wrote:

>The simpler you can make those instructions, the easier it is for
>people to use your program. So on Windows, that probably means you
>have to bundle everything into a big fat .exe or .msi installer, which
>is what leads to DLL Hell when everyone bundles their own
>copies/versions of what ought to be DLLs. Either that, or you tell
>people to go install the pieces separately... which is what I'm
>talking about above.

"DLL Hell" has long been a deprecated term in the windows ecosystem.
Side-by-side assemblies and Windows File Protection System have been
in-place technologies since Windows 2000.

Installing application and dependencies on windows isn't really much
different from Linux, really. The linux package manager isn't much
different than modern windows msi installers with full support for
merged packages, versioning, rollback and uninstallation. With some
additional benefits over linux packages, like automatic on-demand
installation. But with some drawbacks to linux packages, like the
comparatively complexity of creating a msi package compared to a linux
package (really a byproduct of microsoft insanane insistence on the
registry technology)

It should really fall in disuse the idea of making qualitative
comparisons between linux packages and windows installations. It's old
and boring. And usually something coming out of the mouth of someone
who doesn't understand well one or both of the operating system.

Both systems work and work extremely well in their own ecosystems. And
the proof of that is that you don't witness any sort of push towards
the other format in either operating system, despite the fact that a
large number of software developers being literate both on Linux and
Windows.