Python Worst Practices

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 12:42:36 EST 2015

On 03/01/2015 09:58 AM, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Well, every nonnative strives for the standard Hollywoodese and does a
> decent job at that. But when I hear a Brit speak their native tongue, I
> just "smile and wave, smile and wave" because I usually have little idea
> what they are trying to explain.

Ahh, I see.  Your reaction, then, is similar to what most international
English speakers do when they hear American politicians trying to speak
in folksy southern accents.

Seriously, though, it's interesting to note that in the previous
generations of Americans and Canadians, many people, including a
Hollywood actors, were taught elocution in schools, and a pseudo-posh
English (as in the country) sort of accent.  Completely fake of course
much like the Queen's accent.  My grandparents, for example had hints of
such an accent, particularly in certain words.  Christopher Plummer is a
great example of this half-posh accent.  Born and raised in Canada, he
certainly sounds nothing like common broad north American, and certainly
not common Canadian.  Just listening to recordings of radio
personalities and politicians from before 1950, and it's really
interesting to hear the differences between modern speaking, both in
accents and intonations.  Language changes.

If you want a bit of fun, listen to Patrick Stewart reciting a poem in
his native northern accent.  In school they drilled it out of him, I guess.