Should non-security 2.7 bugs be fixed?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 20:27:48 EDT 2015

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:36 AM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:
> If the vast majority of Python programmers are focused on 2.7, why are
> volunteers to help fix 2.7 bugs so scarce?
>
> Does they all consider it perfect (or sufficient) as is?
>
> Should the core developers who do not personally use 2.7 stop backporting,
> because no one cares if they do?

I use Linux on all my computers, but I wouldn't be volunteering to
help fix kernel bugs, because I'm not competent to. I also compile C
code now and then, but don't offer to fix GCC bugs. There may well be
huge numbers of people who write Python code who don't feel they can
contribute in that way (whether or not that's strictly true - after
all, half of Python is written in Python anyway).

ChrisA