Generate jpg files using line length (pixels) and orientation (degrees)

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Fri Jan 9 17:23:19 EST 2015

On 01/09/2015 04:51 PM, semeon.risom at gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, 9 January 2015 12:18:46 UTC-6, Joel Goldstick  wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 12:49 PM,  <semeon... at gmail.com> wrote:

(double-spaced nonsense mostly trimmed)

>> i = 0
>> a = []
>> b = []

What are a and b supposed to contain?   Please use more informative
names for them.  it looks like they are intended to be lists of floats,
but you're then stuffing them with strings.

>> for row in rdr:
>>          a.append(row[0])
>>          b.append(row[1])

perhaps something like:
             a.append(float(row[0]))
             b.append(float(row[1]))

>> def makeimg(length, orientation):

Probably should add some type checking here, since you're having
repeated errors.

         if type(length) not is float or type(orientation) not is float:
                    .....  some educational error message showing what
the types and values actually are.....

Note I'm NOT recommending you code it this way.  Just add the check till
you've narrowed down the errors.

> Unfortunately getting a new error.
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Stimuli Generation\Coordinates\Generate_w corr.py", line 68, in <module>
>      makeimg(length, orientation)
>    File "C:\Users\Owner\Desktop\Stimuli Generation\Coordinates\Generate_w corr.py", line 40, in makeimg
>      orientation = orientation % 180
> TypeError: not all arguments converted during string formatting

I think that's because the % operator means an entirely different thing
if orientation is mistakenly passed as a string.

--
DaveA