looking for standard/builtin dict-like data object

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Mon Aug 10 23:36:00 EDT 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my code I often use my own home-brewed object for passing bunch of
> data between functions. Something like:
>
> class Data(object):
>     def __init__ (self, **kwargs):
>         self.__dict__ = kwargs

> return Data(attr1=..., attr2=..., attr3=...)
>
> Logically it works like plain dictionary but with nice result.attrX
> syntax on client side (instead of resut['attrX']).   Overall I am
> pretty happy with this approach except that I need to drag Data class
> around my projects and import its module in every code producing data.
>
> I am curious if anybody knows similar "dummy" class located in
> standard libraries? I'd be glad to use it instead.

This is commonly known as a "Bunch" class, after the Python Cookbook
recipe. I don't believe there's any public version of it in the std
lib, but there is a PyPI package for it:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/bunch

However, if the set of attribute names is fixed and an immutable
datatype is acceptable, you could use the std lib's "namedtuple" type:
https://docs.python.org/3/library/collections.html#collections.namedtuple

Cheers,
Chris
--