Installation Successful, but pythonw and idle doesn't function

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Aug 5 21:31:02 EDT 2015

On 8/5/2015 6:09 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Rick Smith wrote:

>> I also attempted to run "idle", with the following results:
>>
>>     C:
> \Users\judy\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\Lib\idlelib>idle.py
>>     ** IDLE can't import Tkinter.
>>     Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **

Rick, can you run python?  What happens with 'import tkinter'?

> I do not know IDLE well (if at all after all this time).  Make sure that you
> have installed the prerequisites.

A Windows install should install tkinter and Idle together.

 > But it strikes me as odd to run a GUI-
> based application from the Windows command shell.

This is the right thing to do when there is a problem, as some error
messages get delivered to the console.  The prime example is the above.
  If Idle cannot import tkinter, it cannot use a tkinter message box.

 > Is there not an icon that you can use instead to run it?

In the start menu, but that error message would not appear.

--
Terry Jan Reedy