Installation Successful, but pythonw and idle doesn't function

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn PointedEars at web.de
Wed Aug 5 18:09:04 EDT 2015

Rick Smith wrote:

> However pythonw.exe did not and does not work. I was simply returned to
> the command prompt, without ANY interaction or error.
>
>    prompt>pythonw
>
>    prompt>

Works as designed.  You are proceeding from a false assumption.  pythonw.exe
is not meant to provide an interactive Python shell.  A little Web research
would have showed that to you.

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9705982/pythonw-exe-or-python-exe>

(First hit for “pythonw” on Google with my account.  I have never visited
that site before or can remember to have searched for “pythonw”.)

> I also attempted to run "idle", with the following results:
>
>    C:
\Users\judy\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python35-32\Lib\idlelib>idle.py
>    ** IDLE can't import Tkinter.
>    Your Python may not be configured for Tk. **

I do not know IDLE well (if at all after all this time).  Make sure that you
have installed the prerequisites.  But it strikes me as odd to run a GUI-
based application from the Windows command shell.  Is there not an icon that
you can use instead to run it?  Presumably that would execute a .bat or .cmd
script that sets up the PYTHONPATH.  RTFM, STFW.

--
PointedEars

Twitter: @PointedEars2