Importing/migrating Mailman mbox files into Google Groups?

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Sat Apr 18 19:42:12 EDT 2015

On 18Apr2015 07:50, Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Fri, Apr 17, 2015 at 7:33 PM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
>> However, before you get very excited see if people can get messages back out
>> of the archive. A major annoyance for me with GGroups versus mailman is that
>> if I join a group I cannot download the historical archive. (This is a
>> standard step for me when I join a mailing list. I hear mailman 3 might be
>> tossing this facility; I am unimpressed.)
>
>I'll clarify briefly. The archives are from a now-defunct mailing list
>which accumulated about 190k posts during its nearly ten-year life.
>The only interface to the archives is a rather feeble search
>interface. There is no way to just read through the archives in
>chronological fashion. I know Google Groups isn't very popular here,
>but trust me, it would provide a much better interface to these
>archives than the current search interface. I will obviously verify
>that the messages can be read through GG before dumping all of them
>into this archive.

I think I understood that there was an existing archive. My caveat was more
something to consider before choosing GGroups (too late, and in any case hardly
a deal breaker, especially since Google finally cleaned up a lot of their
HTML/text rendering issues).

Maybe I could suggest, in addition to uploading the archive as raw messages for
GGroups to present, uploading the archive as a compressed mbox file for members
to download if they wish a local archive copy.

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>

Truly, the ultimate demonstration of the computer's utility is that it
continues to be indispensable in spite of those who run the things.
        - Steve Glass, in e-mail