EuroPython 2015: Django Girls Workshop

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Apr 17 18:04:25 EDT 2015

Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net> writes:

> beliavsky at aol.com:
>
> > If your target audience is women, I think you should have termed it
> > the Django Womens Workshop rather than the Django Girls Workshop.
> > Referring to adults as children can be seen as condescending.
>
> You got it wrong. The name is not offensive.

It is not for you to say what is offensive to others.

Further, nobody claimed it is “offensive”, so why raise that?

The claim is that to call women “girls” is condenscending.

--
 \      “People always ask me, ‘Where were you when Kennedy was shot?’ |
  `\                        Well, I don't have an alibi.” —Emo Philips |