Newer Debian versions of python on older Debian distros?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 20:06:39 EDT 2014

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 5:04 AM, Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with using newer versions of python debian packages (in particular, python3 and python3-bson-ext from ‘testing’) on older stable versions (‘wheezy’ in this case)? If someone’s figured out how to do this easily, I’d love to hear the recipe!

I don't know about grabbing from testing, because that's fraught with
peril... but there's a pretty easy way to get a newer Python: build
from source. Basically, the standard incantation:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep python3
$ hg clone http://hg.python.org/cpython
$ cd cpython
$ ./configure && make && sudo make install

(I like to separate the last three steps, but putting them together works too.)

Alternatively, you could just run Debian Jessie. I have a few Jessie
systems on the network, with a Python 3.4 IIRC, and there've been no
stability problems lately. Both options are pretty easy.

ChrisA